• How to Sign Up for a Written Driving Test

    Getting a driving license in the USA consists of two steps: a) Written Driving Test and b) Road Test. The written test is all about the traffic laws and traffic signs. Traditionally, you need to correctly answer at least thirty one out of thirty six questions to pass the test. On average, there is a fee of twelve dollars for the written driving test and you get three chances to clear it. However, if fail to clear it in the three attempts, in some areas you can again deposit the fee and you’ll receive three more chances to clear the same.

    You can always get a copy of the traffic rule booklet either from your local Department of Motor Vehicle’s office or their official website. Effective October 4, 2007, the written tests for a Class D, Class DJ, or Class E driving license are available in the following languages only: Albanian, Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, English, French, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Russian and Spanish.

    You can take the test through an interpreter if you cannot read your native language. The interpreter needs to be certified by a recognized organization. You will have to pay for the interpreter. You cannot have a relationship with the person who is your interpreter.

    The Procedure to Set Up a Written Driving Test

    • Visit a DMV office (a prior appointment helps)
    • Deposit the fee and submit the completed application form
    • Have your thumbprint taken
    • Get yourself photographed at the DMV office
    • Provide proof of your date of birth and your social security number
    • Carry your original passport; you need to show it there
    • Now you are ready to appear for the written driving test

    You need to give an eye test after you have cleared the written driving test. Upon successfully clearing the written test and the eye test you will be issued a temporary permit. With this permit you are eligible to practice driving skills with an adult as a companion. This companion needs to be older than twenty five years and should hold a valid drivers license.