How to Get Smoke Smell Out of a Car
If you want to get cigarette smoke smell out of your car, you need to keep a few things in mind. Cigarette smoke is pervasive and gets into areas of the vehicle that are hard to clean. In order to completely eliminate these foul odors from your vehicle, you need to thoroughly clean the interiors of your car periodically.
How to Get Rid of Smoke Smell:
- To begin, gather a few materials and products that you will need to clean the vehicle. Brushes, a vacuum cleaner, vinegar, baking soda, a deodorizer and an air freshener.
- After gathering these items, remove unnecessary trash that’s left in your vehicle. Throw away unwanted papers and garbage.
- Start vacuuming the interiors and leave the car doors open so the vehicle is completely aired out. Also wipe the doors and the dash to get rid of dust and debris.
- Brush the carpet thoroughly. If you want to do a good job, consider shampooing the interiors with car care products that are available at the hardware store.
- The next thing you could do to get rid of the smoke smell, is to sprinkle some baking soda on the floor of the vehicle and allow it to stay there for a few hours. You will have to then vacuum the baking soda after it has been allowed to sit for nearly 4 to 5 hours.
- You should also sprinkle baking soda into the ash trays and vacuum the powder after it has had time to absorb the odor.
- If you don’t have baking soda, you can leave an open bag of charcoal in the vehicle for a few days. Charcoal is also known to absorb strong and unpleasant odors.
- Although you may use an air freshener after vacuuming the vehicle, you must know that air fresheners may only mask the smell of cigarette smoke for a few hours. To completely get rid of the odor you will have to use baking soda or the open bag of charcoal.
- You could also get rid of odors that are trapped in the air conditioning vents in your car. To do this, park your vehicle outdoors and lift the hood of the car. With the engine still running, turn the air conditioner to the highest setting and make sure that the AC setting has been changed to ‘Fresh Air’.
- Look for the air intake vent located in the engine compartment on the passenger side of the vehicle, and spray the deodorizer directly on the air intake screen.
- Once this is done, you will have to repeat the procedure. This time with the AC turned off and the heater turned on.
- You should also make sure you lower your windows if you want to smoke while driving.
It’s important to follow this cleaning procedure on a regular basis so that the car smells fresh. This will also help you obtain a better resale value when you plan to sell your vehicle in the future.